Categories
Insane World

Woman electrocuted to death after her charging iPhone falls into the bathtub

A woman in Russia was electrocuted to death after she was using her iPhone in the bath while her device was on charging.

Olesya Semenova, 24, was electrocuted after her iPhone that was connected to its charger fell into her bath. She was later found by her flatmate at their home in the Russian city of Arkhangelsk.

Olesya’s friend Daria screamed at her and shook her, but she was pale and did not breathe, showing any signs of life. Daria added that she got an electric shock when she touched Olesya.




Paramedics confirmed that Olesya, who was an employee at a clothes shop, had died in the bath and that her iPhone 8 had fallen into the water when plugged into the mains.

Soon after the incident, Russian emergencies ministry issued a warning for such fatalities in the country.

The Ministry’s statement said that the tragedy once again reminds everyone that water and an electrical appliance connected to the mains are incompatible. The same applies to any mobile device. If a person drowns a smartphone, the worst thing is its failure. But when it is connected to the network, the consequences are even worse.



Russia witnessed another such incident in August when a 15-year-old schoolgirl named Anna K died in Moscow after sustaining an electric shock in her bath.

In 2019, 26-year-old Liliya Novikova, an international poker star, was electrocuted in her bathroom. The international star had a first-class degree in engineering from Moscow’s prestigious Bauman University and suffered a fatal electric shock while using a hairdryer in the flat.