ISIS has claimed responsibility for the deadly explosion in the Syrian city of Manbij on Wednesday.
Among the killed were US service members as per a tweet from the spokesperson for the US-led coalition Operation Inherent Resolve. The tweet says, “U.S. service members were killed during an explosion while conducting a routine patrol in Syria today. We are still gathering information and will share additional details at a later time”.
There were several reported on the number of casualties in the city a militia controlling the city and a UK-based monitoring group. The ISIS-affiliated Amaq agency said the attack in the northern city of Manbij was carried out by a suicide bomber with an explosive vest.
The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least eight people were killed.
The US President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence have been briefed on the situation.
This comes after the United States started withdrawal procedures in Syria. There are about 2000 United States troops in Syria, and last week US started dismantling heavy military equipment.
The ISIS still have vast presence in smaller pockets of central Syria. President Trump is aware that the ISIS is still not completely defeated.