Categories
World

Soldiers indiscriminately open fire at protesters in Nigeria; dozens dead and injured: Witnesses

A number of people taking part in a protest against police brutality have reportedly been shot dead or injured in Nigeria’s biggest city, Lagos.

Eyewitnesses say they have counted about 20 bodies and at least 50 injured after soldiers opened fire. Amnesty International said it had obtained credible reports of deaths.

Uniformed men opening fire in the wealthy Lekki suburb of Lagos on Tuesday evening, witnesses said.




Armed soldiers were seen barricading the protest site moments before the shooting, reports added.

The authorities have promised an investigation into the shooting. An indefinite 24-hour curfew has been imposed on Lagos and other regions.

Reacting to the shootings in Lagos, former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called on Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari and the army “to stop killing young #EndSARS protesters”.



Nigerian footballer Odion Jude Ighalo, who plays for Manchester United, accused the Nigerian government of killing its own citizens. “I’m ashamed of this government,” he said in a video posted on Twitter.

Protests began nearly two weeks ago with calls for the Sars, which had been accused of illegal detentions, assaults and shootings, to be disbanded.

President Buhari dissolved the unit on 11 October. But the demonstrators called for more changes in the security forces as well as reforms to the way the country is run.


Earn Cash Reward By Sharing Articles On Social Media Sites