Ship with 42 crew, nearly 6,000 cattle goes missing off Japan

Japanese coastguard has rescued one person from a cargo ship thought to have sunk during a typhoon with more than 40 crew and 6,000 cattle on board.

According to the Japanese coastguard, the man rescued is one of the Filipino crew, who said the ship’s engine failed before it capsized after being hit by a wave.

Eduardo Sareno, the vessel’s 45-year-old chief officer, said the crew had been instructed to put on lifejackets and that he jumped into the water.

He said he did not see any other crew members before he was rescued.

The Gulf Livestock 1 left New Zealand on 14 August headed for China, with the journey expected to take 17 days, New Zealand’s foreign ministry said.

On Wednesday night, the ship sent a distress call from waters to the west of Amami Oshima island in south-western Japan after being caught up in Typhoon Maysak.

The search for the rest of the crew and ship continues but has so far failed to find any more survivors.

The crew of the freighter includes 39 seamen from the Philippines, two from New Zealand and two from Australia.

The Gulf Livestock 1 is a 139m (450ft), Panamanian-flagged cargo vessel built in 2002.

Strong winds and torrential rains from the typhoon battering the region are hampering the search effort.

Typhoon Maysak made landfall early on Thursday in the South Korean port city of Busan, packing winds of 140kmh. At least two people are reported to have been killed in the city. One was a woman whose apartment window was shattered by the force of the wind. Another man in Busan was believed to have fallen to his death from the roof of his house.

More than 2,200 people have been evacuated to shelters and about 120,000 homes were left without power in the affected region. Wind and rain have flooded Busan’s streets.

Flights have been cancelled and ferries suspended. Maysak is one of the strongest storms to hit the region in years. It is moving north and made a second landfall at Kimchaek in North Korea, before weakening as it tracked into north-east China.