One of Queen Elizabeth II’s Buckingham Palace employees has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, a palace representative has confirmed.
The staff member tested positive for the virus early last week, before the Queen departed for Windsor Castle, The Sun initially reported.
It is unclear what role the employee holds at the palace or whether the person came into contact with the Queen or other members of the royal family during this time.
Every staff member the person came into contact with has been placed in self-isolation, the publication reported.
A Buckingham Palace representative is yet to officially issue a statement and share further details.
“We wouldn’t comment on individual members of staff,” the representative said.
“In line with the appropriate guidance and our own processes, we have taken the necessary actions to protect all employees and people involved,” the person added.
The Queen left Buckingham Palace for Windsor Castle on Thursday, a week earlier than she originally planned to leave London.
She made a rare personal statement at the time, urging the public to “find new ways of staying in touch with each other and making sure that loved ones are safe.”
“You can be assured that my family and I stand ready to play our part,” she said.
Members of the royal family have been following government guidance and postponing or canceling many of their large-scale events.
Princess Beatrice canceled her Buckingham Palace wedding reception — due to take place May 29 — and released a statement last week saying she’s considering postponing the ceremony.