The Duke of Sussex has begun legal action against the owners of the Sun, the defunct News of the World, and the Daily Mirror, in relation to alleged phone-hacking.
Documents have been filed on behalf of Prince Harry over the alleged illegal interception of voicemail messages, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.
His wife Meghan recently launched legal action against the Mail on Sunday. It is accused of unlawfully publishing a private letter to her father.
It’s presumed that the phone-hacking scandal dates back to early 2000s.
The publishers of the Sun and the News of The World confirmed that they received letters from the Duke of Sussex.
Prince Harry said the “painful” impact of intrusive media coverage had forced them to take action. Referring to his late mother Diana, Princess of Wales, the prince said his “deepest fear is history repeating itself”.
“I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person,” he said.
Between them, the two newspaper groups have paid out almost £500m to victims of phone hacking in settlements and legal costs.
The publishers could face a total bill for phone-hacking of up to £1bn, Hacked Off, the campaign group representing the victims, said earlier this year.
Celebrities who have settled claims with the Mirror group include actor Hugh Grant, while Sir Elton John, Elizabeth Hurley and Heather Mills settled claims against News Group Newspapers earlier this year.
The News of the World closed in July 2011.
Source : Various