Categories
World

North Korea rejects holding talks with United States as envoy lands in Seoul

North Korea issued a statement to state that it has no intention of sitting down with the United States and told South Korea to “stop meddling”.

On Tuesday, Kwon Jong Gun, director general for U.S. affairs at North Korea’s foreign ministry, accused South Korea of misinterpreting the North Korean statement dismissing the rumour of another summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump.

“It is just the time for (South Korea) to stop meddling in others’ affairs but it seems there is no cure or prescription for its bad habit,” Kwon said in a statement carried by the North’s official KCNA news agency.




“Explicitly speaking once again, we have no intention to sit face to face with the United States.”

North Korea is of the view that nuclear discussion should be held only with the United States and South Korea should stay out of it.

U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun, who has led working-level talks with the North Koreans, landed at a U.S. military base south of Seoul.



Earlier, South Korean President Moon Jae-in had offered to mediate between both North Korea and United States suggesting that the two leaders meet before U.S. elections in November.

Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un met for the first time in 2018 in Singapore, raising hopes for a negotiated end to North Korea’s nuclear programme. Their second summit in 2019 ended abruptly.

Just last month North Korea brought down a joint liaison office that it shared with South Korea on its side of the border.