Myanmar Military Coup: Anti-coup hackers target government websites, 495 arrested as protests continue

Myanmar military arrested nearly 500 individuals in relation to the growing protests and civil disobedience movement following the February 1 coup, as protesters return to the streets on Thursday following a massive demonstration on Wednesday.

Some 495 individuals were arrested according to Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) who are tracking detentions over the past few weeks.

Off the 495 people, three people were already to two years in jail.

Among those arrested in recent days was a regional minister of environment in Mandalay, while four train operators and two others were reportedly taken at gunpoint by the military, and three were arrested by police in Rakhine.

Eight civil servants were also put on trial on Wednesday for going on strike as part of a growing civil disobedience movement.

Meanwhile, lawyers in the country have joined the Red Ribbon Campaign calling for the restoration of democracy in the country. Doctors were seriously concerned for the health system as several health care workers were arrested.

On Thursday, the demonstrators returned to the streets for the 13th straight day of nationwide protests against the coup leaders.

Protests in capital Naypyidaw and the largest city Yangon, Mandalay, large crowds continued their stir demanding restoration of democracy and release of Aung San Suu Kyi.

READ: Myanmar coup leader mount criminal charges against Aung San Suu Kyi

Hackers Target Military Websites:

On Thursday, hackers had attacked military-run websites as the internet was shut down for a fourth straight night.

A group called Myanmar Hackers disrupted multiple government websites including the Central Bank, the Myanmar military, state-run broadcaster MRTV, the Port Authority and the Food and Drug Administration.

“We are fighting for justice in Myanmar,” the group of hackers said on its Facebook page.

“It is like mass protesting of people in front of government websites.”

READ: Anti-coup protesters in Myanmar could face up to 20 years in prison

Military Justify Coup:

The coup took place as a new session of parliament was set to open. The military declared a year-long state of emergency and handed over power to Commander-in-chief Min Aung Hlaing.

In the November 8 general elections, Aung San Suu Kyi’s party, NLD won 83% of available seats. But the military disputed the election results.

The fears of coup rose after the election commission rejected the military’s allegations of fraud elections.

This was just the second election since the end of military rule in 2011.