Categories
World

Maryland: Man found dead in home with more than 100 snakes died of a snake bite

A man found dead in a home with more than 100 snakes earlier this year in Charles County, Maryland, died of a snake bite, officials have determined.

The man, a 49-year-old whose name was not released, died of “snake envenomation,” the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled.

His death was accidental. Officials previously said it was too early to determine whether the snakes played a role in the man’s death.




The victim was found on January 19 in his home in Pomfret. The snakes were all in cages when sheriff’s deputies arrived, officials said.

A neighbor on Raphael Drive noticed he hadn’t seen the man in about a day, county spokeswoman Jennifer Harris previously said. The neighbor went to the door and was able to see through a window that the man had fallen. He called 911 for help.

When deputies arrived, they found the man unresponsive and the house full of 124 snakes, including a 14-foot-long Burmese python.



Animal control officials responded and began to examine the huge snake collection, Harris said.

“Our chief animal control officer said in his more than 30 years of experience, he had not encountered this kind of thing before,” she said.

The collection included venomous snakes that are illegal to keep in Maryland, Harris said. The breeds found included pythons, rattlesnakes, cobras and black mambas, Harris said.

Charles County animal control officials were able to isolate the non-venomous snakes. They brought in experts to handle the venomous snakes.

A crew spent hours getting the snakes out after the late man’s mother gave permission for them to be taken away.

The snakes appeared to have been cared for meticulously, the county spokeswoman said. Officials said they believed every snake was accounted for.