An Israeli soldier shot a Palestinian man leaving him paralysed from the neck down, after an altercation over a portable electric generator.
The attack occurred on on Friday near Hebron in the south of the West Bank. A video of the assault showed Haroun Abu Aram, 24, along with three other men, attempting to hold on to the generator while Israeli soldiers seek to take it away.
The tussle continues until, off-camera, a single gunshot is heard, followed by screaming, before the camera moves to reveal Abu Aram lying motionless on the ground.
The video has been widely circulated by Israeli human rights organizations and in Israeli and Palestinian media.
— www.THEPIGEONEXPRESS.com (@TPE_connect) January 3, 2021
In a statement, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said soldiers were involved in a routine operation “to confiscate and evacuate an illegal building in the village of At-Tuwani.”
Israeli forces regularly evacuate and demolish Palestinian homes in the Palestinian Territories that are built without a permit from Israeli authorities.
The statement said the army was aware of reports a Palestinian had been injured by live fire during the operation and was carrying out an investigation.
The army statement also said the operation had been carried out in the face of rock-throwing by about 150 Palestinians, though this cannot be seen in the two-and-half-minute video of the incident circulating on social media.
A statement from the hospital in Hebron where Abu Aram is being treated said he had been shot in the neck, damaging his nerves and spine and leaving him paralyzed in all four limbs. The hospital added that breathing was only possible with a ventilator.