A person who posted a video online of a missile striking a Ukrainian airliner in Iran last week has been taken into custody by the elite Revolutionary Guards, the semi-official Fars news agency reported on Tuesday.
The results of the investigation will be presented to the public, Fars said, without providing additional details.
It is believed the person being detained will face charges related to national security.
The video was released on Friday showed that the plane was hit by a missile was also published.
The video, first reported by the New York Times newspaper and CNN, is consistent with statements made by Canadian, US and UK officials, who said intelligence indicated that an Iranian missile brought down the plane, a conclusion initially dismissed by Iran.
Then on Saturday, Revolutionary Guards aerospace commander Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh acknowledged a missile operator had mistaken the plane for a cruise missile and opened fire.
Iran's military says it "unintentionally" shot down a Ukrainian passenger jet. 176 died following the crash of Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 – BBC #UkranianPlaneCrash pic.twitter.com/Grhu0z02Ad
— Sri Lanka Tweet 🇱🇰 (@SriLankaTweet) January 11, 2020