At least three people were killed in Bali after a magnitude 4.8 earthquake hit the Indonesian island on Saturday, damaging buildings and leaving people trapped in the rubble.
The earthquake damaged buildings in Karangasem and Bangli regencies on the east of the island, the Bali Province Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD) said in a statement Saturday.
Rescue efforts are continuing in Karangasem where people remain trapped in the ruins of a building. Seven people are seriously injured, and one person is dead.
Two people died in Bangli, where landslides caused by the quake blocked a road, hampering evacuation efforts. A third, a three-year old girl, was killed by falling debris.
BPBD is warning people to be prepared for potential aftershocks.
The US Geological Survey (USGS) said the 4.8 magnitude quake struck off Banjar Wangsian, and put its depth at 10 km.
“All affected by the quake have been evacuated while data on damage is still being collected by Bali’s disaster mitigation agency,” search and rescue official Gede Darmada said in the statement.
Rescue services evacuated people across a lake as the road to the stricken community had been cut off by a landslide, he added.
There was no significant damage in other parts of Bali, while the quake was felt also in the neighbouring island of Lombok, local media reported.
Bali reopened for international tourists on Thursday after 18 months of pandemic restrictions, but they are only expected to start arriving later this month.