The South African President Cyril Ramaphosa will be the chief guest for India’s Republic day celebrations scheduled on the 26th of January. He is accompanied by the first lady Dr Tshepo Motsepe and a 9 member a high level delegation. This year marks India’s 70th Republic day for India.
This is President Ramaphosa’s first India tour as head of state, and he is the second President of South Africa to grace the Republic day celebrations after Nelson Mandela.
The Republic day celebrations is focused and surrounded on the life of Mahatma Gandhi due to the impact, impression and legacy he left behind for our two nations.
A one and a half hour parade will see 22 tableaux of Mahatma Gandhi mostly performed by school students.
In the year 2018, India saw ten ASEAN leaders attend the Republic Day celebrations.
Who is the Cyril Ramaphosa, the Republic day chief guest?
- He is the South African President elected by the National Assembly after the resignation of Jacob Zuma in 2018.
- President Ramaphosa’s government focused on economy, taxation and land reform.
- Prime Minister Modi and President Ramaphosa have shared priorities that is sanitation. Mr. Modi started the Swachh Bharat mission, and Mr. Ramaphosa launched the Sanitation Appropriate For Education program.
- Cyril Ramaphosa is one of the wealthiest man in South Africa. He is married Tshepo Motsepe, the sister of South Africa’s richest black businessman.
- Apart from serving as the President, he has established the largest trade unions in South Africa.
- Cyril was born on the 17th of November 1952 and actively taken part in anti-apartheid.