Indian gangster Vikas Dubey shot dead hours after being arrested

Indian policemen shot dead Vikas Dubey, a gangster who was accused of killing eight policemen in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh last week.

Dubey was on the run for nearly a week after the incident. He was nabbed in the neighbouring state of Madhya Pradesh on Thursday.

The police were brining him back to Uttar Pradesh when the car he was travelling in overturned. The police allege Dubey stole a policeman’s rifle and tired to get away.

A police officer, Mohit Agarwal, said that policemen fired at the gangster in retaliation after he refused to surrender and shot at officers.

After being on the run for a week, Dubey was arrested on Thursday while he went to offer prayers at a temple in Madhya Pradesh’s Ujjain city.

Reports claim that private guards at the temple premises recognised Dubey and alerted the police.

The opposition described Dubey’s arrest at the temple premises nothing but a publicly stunt to surrender. After his death suspicion has grown against the police, the ruling BJP government.

It is believed that Dubey had strong links with  people from both the ruling and opposition parties. If Dubey was to face an honest trial a huge political unrest may have erupted not only in the state of Uttar Pradesh but also in the Narendra Modi led central government.

The state of Uttar Pradesh which happens to be India’s most populous state also has the highest crime rate. As per data at least 10 percent of 100 percent crimes in India were reported in Uttar Pradesh.

Since the formation of BJP-led Yogi Adityanath government in the state in 2017 the number of encounter killings by police have risen sharply. From March 2017 till December 2019 the state witnessed 5178 police engagements in which 103 people were killed and 1,859 injured.

Extrajudicial killings are not rare in India. Close to 1,782 cases of fake encounters were registered in India between 2000 and 2017 of which 44.55 percent were registered in Uttar Pradesh itself, an RTI report revealed.

United Nations Human Rights officials in India have written to Indian authorities multiple times requesting information of what could’ve been dubbed as a fake encounter.