Eight patients at a coronavirus hospital in India’s Ahmedabad city died after a fire broke out inside its critical care unit.
The fire spread after a staff member’s PPE kit caught fire due to a short circuit, senior fire official Rajesh Bhatt said.
“The staffer started running around the critical care unit in panic and the fire spread as a result,” he said.
It took over an hour for the blaze to get under control, other patients were transferred to a different facility.
“Saddened by the tragic hospital fire in Ahmedabad. Condolences to the bereaved families. May the injured recover soon,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi wrote in a tweet.
Family members of the patients claim the Shrey Hospital authorities delayed calling fire personnel and did not inform family members about the fire.
The Ahmedabad police launched an investigation. The director of the hospital was arrested.