Hurricane Ida triggers massive floods across New York, New Jersey and Northeast region

At least 22 people have now died in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania following the remnants of Hurricane Ida.

At least eight of the victims were in New York City, and include a two-year-old boy. Some died when they became trapped in flooded basements.

Meanwhile at least 14 died in two separate incidents in New Jersey, according to NBC News. Five of whom died in an apartment complex in the city of Elizabeth.

More deaths are expected in Philadelphia where officials have reported “multiple fatalities,” without giving further details.

New York declared a state of emergency on Thursday as the Northeast region was slammed by torrential rain from the remnants of Ida, causing heavy flooding and reports of numerous water rescues.

In New York City, a travel ban was implemented for all non-emergency services vehicles at least till 5:00am, an emergency alert by Notify NYC read.

Almost all the city subway lines were suspended due to the flooding. The Metropolitan Transit Authority website said that only the “7” line and the Staten Island Railway were operating with delays.

“We’re enduring an historic weather event tonight with record breaking rain across the city, brutal flooding and dangerous conditions on our roads,” New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Twitter.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul said the rain was “far more than anyone really expected,” and left the region in “a very dire situation.”

“We can take all the precautions in advance, and we did deploy our assets to be on the ground in anticipation, but mother nature will do whatever she wants, and she is really angry tonight,” Hochul said.

The storm caused hundreds of flights at New York’s Newark, LaGuardia and JFK airports to be cancelled on Thursday, although all have said that now the bad weather has passed, they are cleaning up and preparing to get back to normal operations.

On its Twitter page, JFK said 20 flights were cancelled, and Newark airport said more than 300 flights had been grounded.

Travelers are being advised to check the latest with their airlines before heading to the airport.