After more than a week of searching for Brian Laundrie in Florida’s Carlton Reserve without much success, law enforcement plans to scale back their efforts in the coming days.
“I don’t think you’re going to see those large scale types of efforts this week,” Josh Taylor, a spokesman for the North Port Police.
“The FBI is now leading the search. I’m told, It will be scaled back and targeted based on intelligence. Hopefully, water will lower in areas hard to currently access,” he added.
Gabby Petito, 22, and Laundrie, 23, had been road-tripping in a white van from New York through the US West over the summer and documented their travel on social media.
Those posts abruptly stopped in late August, and Laundrie returned to his North Port, Florida, home on September 1 in their van without Petito, whose family reported her missing September 11.
Investigators found Petito’ body last Sunday.
Authorities are now looking for Laundrie, whose parents told investigators he left home with a backpack on September 14.
The Carlton Reserve is a 24,000-acre expanse of woods and swamps about 15 miles from the Laundries’ home, has been the focus of the search since Laundrie was reported missing on September 17.
Florida cattle rancher Alan McEwen said on Sunday that “there’s no surviving” in the reserve, which is home to alligators, panthers, black bears, wild boar, and poisonous snakes.
“I have learned a lot in my life, and one thing I know is no one is gonna survive out there for two weeks on foot,” he told reporters.
Meanwhile the FBI issued a federal arrest warrant for Laundrie for his “use of unauthorized devices” following her death.
The indictment says Brian Laundrie used a debit card and PIN number for accounts that did not belong to him between 30 August and 1 September.
Investigators also searched Laundrie’s family home. Agents were seen removing several boxes from the house and towing away a silver Ford Mustang.