An armed ex-soldier on the run in south-western France has been shot by police after a 24-hour manhunt.
The man, named by police as 29-year-old Terry Dupin, had fled to a forest after shooting at officers on Saturday, sparking a massive search.
He was wounded during a shoot-out with a special forces squad, and has been taken into custody, officials say.
Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin said he had been “neutralised” and thanked police for their “decisive action”.
The manhunt began on Saturday after a “dispute” at Dupin’s ex-partner’s home, in Le Lardin-Saint-Lazare in Dordogne, led to him shooting at police.
The suspect, who had past domestic violence convictions, fled to nearby woods armed with a knife and a long-range hunting rifle, police said.
More than 300 officers, four armoured vehicles and a police helicopter were deployed to comb the four sq km stretch of woodland into Sunday night. Some 1,800 residents were urged to stay at home to avoid the “potentially very dangerous” suspect.
At around midday on Monday, the suspect was seriously wounded in a shoot-out with police, prefect of Dordogne, Frédéric Périssat, said.
“Neutralised means that he was wounded during the return of fire. He is currently in the hands of the fire and rescue service for medical treatment,” Mr Périssat said.
During the arrest, the suspect opened fire several times on special forces officers, he said, adding that the man appeared unconcerned about his own life.