Categories
World

Former French health minister Agnès Buzyn faces investigation over handing Covid-19

The former health minister of France is being investigated over the handling of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Prosecutors looking into government failings are investigating Agnès Buzyn for “endangering the lives of others”.

Ms Buzyn left the post in February 2020 to run for Paris mayor, saying Covid was low risk. But she later spoke of knowing a “tsunami” was approaching.




It is one of the world’s first cases of a minister facing legal accountability for their pandemic response.

A special court was set up in in France in 1993 to investigate government ministers accused of misconduct will decide whether to prosecute her.

The wording of one of the charges being investigated is “failing to fight a disaster”, according to Le Monde newspaper.



At a court hearing on Friday, the 58-year-old said she welcomed the chance to explain herself and “to establish the truth”.

She added that she would not let the government’s actions or her own be discredited “when we did so much to prepare our country for a global health crisis”.

Ms Buzyn took up the role as France’s health minister in May 2017 and resigned just a few weeks after the first Covid-19 cases were confirmed in France.

She lost the Paris mayoral election to Anne Hidalgo last year. She then joined the cabinet of World Health Organization (WHO) head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus in January 2021.

Le Monde said Ms Buzyn had spoken before leaving her post of “very low risks” of a major Covid outbreak. But in June 2020, she said: “When I left the ministry, I cried because I knew a tsunami wave was approaching.”

The announcement comes as part of a wider investigation into the government’s pandemic response including its preparedness, policy changes, and its reception of scientific research into the virus.

France’s current health minister Olivier Véran reportedly could also be summoned before the same judges in the coming weeks.