Categories
Insane Social Media Reactions Sports World

Football player gets struck with firework that explodes on pitch

Hashtag United football club in Essex on Saturday said a firework that exploded on the pitch on Bonfire Night could have “blinded” one of his players.

The incident occurred as Hashtag United’s reserve team took on Concord Rangers reserves on November 5 at the Len Salmon Stadium in Basildon.

The Essex Senior League Reserve Division game was abandoned after the firework exploded around player Matas Skrna’s legs.




The close shave resulted in the game’s suspension and was later posted on the club’s Twitter account.

A club spokesperson said that a volunteer had gone to a nearby house and asked if they could halt their fireworks.

They said the household carried on with their display which led to the match being abandoned, after which the fireworks stopped.



Hashtag United is a football and esports club in Essex which was formed in 2016 by presenter and social media personality Spencer Owen.

The club has a men’s team that plays in the eighth tier and a women’s team which plays in the fourth tier.

Mr Owen tweeted after the incident that Mr Skrna could have suffered serious injury as a result of the incident.

“Yet another reason to add to the list of reasons to sack off fireworks,” he tweeted.

“A few inches different and our lad could have been blinded. Not the only football game something like this happened at last night either.”

The club tweeted that the police had been notified.