Facebook’s Oversight Board delayed its decision regarding former US President Donald Trump’s possible return to Facebook and Instagram.
Mr Trump was banned from Facebook in January after the Capitol Hill riots.
The Board said the delay was due to the time it has taken to review over 9,000 public responses to cases.
A decision was originally due by 21 April. In a statement on Twitter, the Board said it would make a decision “in the coming weeks”.
The ruling will be the biggest decision the Oversight Board has had to make since it started taking on cases last year.
The Board was set up to rule on difficult or controversial moderation decisions made by Facebook.
The 20-member committee, established by Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg, is often referred to as “Facebook’s Supreme Court”. It operates as an independent entity, although its wages and others costs are covered by the tech company.
The committee is made up of journalists, human rights activists, lawyers and academics.
It’s not just Mr Trump’s account that is banned. Earlier this month Facebook extended their ban to include the “voice of Trump” after his daughter-in-law and Fox News contributor Laura Trump posted a video of her interviewing the former president.
Several Big Tech platforms took action after the Capitol Hill riots.
Mr Trump is suspended on YouTube, but chief executive Susan Wojcicki has said they may lift the ban when the threat of “real-world violence” decreases.
He is permanently banned on Twitter.
(2/2): The Board’s commitment to carefully reviewing all comments has extended the case timeline, in line with the Board’s bylaws. We will share more information soon.
— Oversight Board (@OversightBoard) April 16, 2021