A Japanese woman who was suffering from an irritated throat was shocked after she was told that a worm was living inside her tonsil.
A 25-year-old woman underwent a physical examination at Tokyo’s St. Luke’s International Hospital after being left with throat pain and irritation for five days after eating assorted sashimi.
Sashimi is a Japanese delicacy consisting of fresh raw fish or meat sliced into thin pieces and often eaten with soy sauce.
The doctors pulled out a 1.5 inches long black worm alive from the inside of the woman’s left tonsil.
DNA testing on the worm identified it as a fourth-stage larva of “Pseudoterranova azaras,” a parasitic roundworm. The parasite infects the stomach after a host has consumed larvae in raw or undercooked marine fish.
According to a study by The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, more than 700 cases reported in Japan, North Pacific countries, South America, and the Netherlands.
The woman’s blood test results were normal, and her symptoms rapidly improved after the worm was removed.
Such infections are on the rise where eating sushi and other raw or undercooked fish and seafood dishes has gained popularity.