The Australian state of Victoria has reported its worst death toll and case rise, prompting fears that a six-week lockdown of state capital Melbourne is not working.
Victoria reported 723 new infections on Thursday and 13 new deaths.
Now there are speculations that Melbourne’s lockdown will need to be extended.
Last week, the Victorian government said sick people breaking isolation rules – or not getting tested in time – was leading to continued spread despite lockdown measures.
“If you’ve got symptoms, the only thing you can do is get tested,” said Premier Daniel Andrews.
“You just can’t go to work. Because all you’ll be doing is spreading the virus.”
Under Melbourne’s second stay-at-home order, people cannot leave their home except for exercise, food shopping, work and care-giving.
Melbourne has also become the first Australian city to make mask-wearing mandatory in public, and this will be extended to all of Victoria from Monday.
Melbourne has reported more than 7,000 cases this month alone, accounting for about 95% of the national total in the second wave. In all of Australia, 6,000 cases and 189 deaths were recorded.