Coronavirus: Hong Kong medical staff go on a strike in bid to force government into total border shutdown

Hong Kong’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor buckled under intense public and political pressure to announce a further closure of the city’s borders with mainland China to keep out the coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, but still stopping short of the total shutdown demanded by public hospital workers who vowed to escalate a strike they began on Monday.

Lam on Monday said all border crossings would be closed, except for the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge, Shenzhen Bay Port and the international airport, even as the city confirmed its first case of human-to-human coronavirus infection.

Appearing at a media briefing without wearing a face mask this time, Lam on Monday said major land crossings at Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau would be closed at midnight, along with the Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal – the three accounted for about 60 percent of cross-border passenger traffic in 2018.

The Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, with far lower traffic in comparison, would remain open.

“These measures are consistent with the initiatives rolled out earlier,” Lam said, referring to her previous decision to close six smaller border crossings that accounted for about 7 per cent of passenger traffic in 2018. “They are completely irrelevant to the strike.”

Lam stuck to her guns that large numbers of Hongkongers themselves still needed to cross the border, and barring all mainlanders from entering would be discriminatory.

“When it comes to infection control, when it comes to a virus, there is no boundary, so you cannot differentiate that people of a certain race, of a certain nationality … are more prone to infection than other people, we have to treat them equally,” she said.

However, this was not enough to pacify the Hospital Authority Employees Alliance, which launched the first phase of a strike on Monday to pressure the government into ordering a total border shutdown.

The Hospital Authority said about 2,700 staff had skipped work, including around 300 doctors and 900 nurses, which “seriously affected” various services, including cancer and balloon angioplasty operations which had to be delayed.

The newly formed union, emerging from recent months of anti-government protests, claimed partial victory over the government.

“The government has felt the pressure by our action and now it has agreed to shut down more border crossings. We have successfully forced the government to move forward,” alliance chairwoman Winnie Yu Wai-ming said. “But that is not enough. There are still three crossings and many mainlanders can continue coming to Hong Kong through there.”

The alliance vowed to push ahead with the second phase of the strike on Tuesday, this time predicting that as many as 9,000 – including doctors, nurses and other hospital workers – would join the industrial action following the collapse of an open dialogue with Hospital Authority chief executive Dr Tony Ko Pat-sing on Monday night.

During the 30-minute dialogue, the union could not secure a promise from Ko to push the government for further border closures or an agreement not to penalise any staff who participated in the strike.

It estimated about 5,000 of those taking part in Tuesday’s strike would be nurses, which would hit ward services hard. Up to 800 strikers each worked at major public hospitals, including Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales, the union said.

The Hospital Authority said it expected some essential services to be disrupted, which could entail shutting down some of the wards at major hospitals.

Leave a Reply