A pet carpet python was saved by an Australian animal hospital after carrying out an extraordinary medical procedure to remove an item it had swallowed.
In a remarkable video posted to Instagram by the Small Animal Specialist Hospital in New South Wales, 18-year-old Monty Python is anaesthetised as specialists at the avian and exotics department try to locate the missing towel.
“We see all kinds of interesting cases here at our Avian and Exotics Department, but it’s not every day we see something quite as unusual and as extraordinary as this case,” the post read.
After placing an endoscope down the female jungle carpet python’s mouth, doctors at the centre locate the find the towel a metre down his gastrointestinal tract before turning to the forceps to help grab hold of it.
The video shows the forceps clamped on the towel as it is removed inch by inch from the 3 metre long snake’s gullet much like a never-ending stream of napkins from a magicians sleeve.
But once the towel was out it was a job well done by staff at the North Ryde centre who added:
“It was smiles all round and we are happy to report that both Monty and the beach towel have lived to see another day.”
“Monty was discharged from hospital the same day and her owner reports she is back to her happy, hungry self.”
This is what plastic & other waste is doing to other species. Vets here pulling AN ENTIRE BEACH TOWEL out of a python in Australia. Imagine what we are doing. Video Not for faint hearted person. pic.twitter.com/vDgPm6CgAe
— Parveen Kaswan, IFS (@ParveenKaswan) February 28, 2020