The death toll from the bomb attack which targeted school girls in Kabul on Saturday has risen to 85. Another 147 wounded people were wounded in the attack.
A car bomb was detonated in front of the Sayed Al-Shuhada school, and two more bombs exploded when students rushed out in panic.
The Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood where the bomb detonated is home to a large community of Shiites from the Hazara ethnic minority. The Islamic States is suspected to be behind the blast, but there is no official claim of responsibility yet.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani on Saturday blamed Taliban insurgents, but a spokesman for the group denied involvement and condemned any attacks on civilians.
Officials said most of those killed were schoolgirls.
On Sunday, civilians and policemen collected books and school bags strewn across a blood-stained road now busy with shoppers ahead of celebrations for Eid al-Fitr next week.
Pope Francis called the attack an “inhuman act” in remarks to pilgrims in St. Peter’s Square in Vatican City on Sunday.
Security was intensified across Kabul after the attack, but authorities said they would not be able to provide protection to all schools, mosques and other public places.
The conflict between the Taliban escalated after the United States did not meet a May 1 withdrawal deadline agreed in talks with the Taliban last year, its military pull-out has begun, with President Joe Biden announcing that all troops will be gone by September 11.