Categories
Insane

92-year-old man passes away after choking on Brussels sprouts

A meal turned tragic for a 92-year-old man in the United Kingdom who passed away after he choked on Brussels sprouts.

James Christopher Dingsdale suffered a cardiac arrest after eating the vegetable on December 20.

Dingsdale was being fed lunch by a healthcare support worker when he started to choke on the seasonal vegetable at Glan Clwyd hospital in Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire in North Wales.




He later underwent  a throat examination at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd and showed positive signs to the treatment initially. However, he died on December 22 as his condition deteriorated later.

It is not clear whether the unfortunate choking incident was entirely an unnatural matter which had led to Dingsdale’s demise or something incidental in the case of the death of a “frail gentleman”. An inquiry has been launched.

A laryngoscopy examination revealed a ‘mashed up Brussels sprout occluding the glottic opening’. After the test, the medical team followed a procedure to which Dingsdale had “good bilateral chest expansion”



However, due to Dingsdale’s comorbidities, he succumbed to the choking food particles inside his windpipe.

Choking while eating food can happen due to multiple reasons, most common are talking or laughing while eating or eating too quickly.