Categories
World

9-year-old boy becomes 10th victim of deadly crowd surge at Travis Scott’s Astroworld festival

A nine-year-old boy who was placed in an induced coma after a crowd surge at the Astroworld festival in Houston, Texas, has died, a family lawyer says.

Ezra Blount had been on life support in hospital due to severe brain and organ trauma since the show on 5 November.

He is the youngest of 10 concertgoers to have been killed after panic broke out during rapper Travis Scott's headline performance.




Hundreds of others were hurt when the crowd began to press towards the stage.

Attorneys representing more than 200 people claiming they were injured in the stampede told reporters on Friday they were filing another 90 lawsuits against the promoters of the event.

On Sunday, a lawyer for the family of Ezra Blount confirmed the boy's death.



"Ezra's death is absolutely heartbreaking," civil rights attorney Ben Crump said in a statement. "This should not have been the outcome of taking their son to a concert."

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said he was "saddened to learn of Ezra's death".

The crowd surge at the concert began at about 9:15pm ocal time on Friday, 5 November. There were about 50,000 people at the festival at the city's NRG Park complex.

As the crush began causing injuries to people, panic grew and the casualties quickly overwhelmed the on-site first aiders, officials said.

Those who lost their lives were aged between nine and 27.

Scott, one of the biggest names in rap music, launched Astroworld with concert promoters Live Nation in 2018.

He has asked victims to reach out to him, saying he "desperately wishes to share his condolences and provide aid", according to a statement.