A 64-year-old man, who contracted coronavirus infection, died in Maharashtra, the state that has reported maximum cases of the highly contagious illness in India.
This is the third death in the country linked to coronavirus or COVID-19, declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation last week.
The man was admitted to a hospital in Mumbai, said officials. The death in Maharashtra comes as number of COVID-19 cases rose to 125 in India.
The man who died in Mumbai today came back from Dubai on March 5. He did not disclose his travel history and went to a private hospital, where he was tested for respiratory problems, the authorities said, adding that the cause of his death is still being ascertained. The man’s wife has also been found COVID-19 positive but is stable.
Last week two people – a 68-year-old woman in Delhi and a 76-year-old woman in Karnataka – died. Both the deaths were linked to COVID-19, which originated in China’s Wuhan city at a meat market in December.
Amid widespread scare, the Union government on Monday declared a countrywide lockdown of schools, colleges, gyms and swimming pools and crowded areas that could allow for exponential spread of the virus.
The government had last week declared the novel coronavirus outbreak in the country a “notified disaster”, in a move it called “a special one-time dispensation”.
In Maharashtra, the state government said it would “stamp” all those who have been sent to home quarantine as the number of cases climbed to 39.
Worldwide, over 7,000 people have died, more than one lakh has been infected in 143 countries. The WHO last week declared Europe as the epicentre of the pandemic.
On Monday, nearly 14,000 people were infected with the novel coronavirus globally – largest in a single day – bringing the total number of confirmed cases above 167,500, said the WHO.
*Correction an earlier report stated that the 64-year-old patient who died in Mumbai was a woman and that has been corrected.