45-year-old tortoise burns down house on Christmas

A 45-year-old tortoise nearly burned down the house after knocking over a heat lamp in UK’s Essex county on Christmas.

The tortoise looked mean and angry on being rescued from the fire. Neighbours heard the smoke alarm and called the fire brigade, who made the final rescue.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service took to their Facebook page and posted about the news. “This 45 year old tortoise might look angry but it’s his lucky day. After he set his bedding alight his neighbour heard the smoke alarm and called us. Our on-call crews left their families to go extinguish the fire and gave him a very merry Christmas.”

When the Essex County Fire & Rescue Service arrived at the property they saw a the house was smoke logged and there was a fire in one of the rooms.

Gary Wain, the watch manager of Great Dunmow fire station, said, “The fire started after the tortoise knocked a heat lamp onto its bedding, which then caught alight.”

He said the tortoise had a very lucky Christmas Day. “He is 45 years young and will now hopefully continue to live a long and happy life thanks to working smoke alarms,” Wain added.