Categories
Insane World

20-year-old dies after choking during hot dog eating contest at charity fundraiser

A 20-year-old university student died after choking on a hot dog during an eating contest at a charity fundraiser in Somerville, Massachusetts.

Madie Nicpon, the Tufts University student attended the charity event at an off-campus, private rental property, according to a statement released by the university.

The competition was held as part of a “Play for Pink” event for breast cancer awareness. The student choked while participating in a charity hot dog eating contest.




The Tufts University community was mourning her death.

“After first responders performed life-saving procedures on site, Madie was transported to Mt. Auburn Hospital and subsequently transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital, where she passed away on Sunday afternoon,” Tufts officials said in the statement.

About 3,000 people attended a candlelit vigil to honor the late student-athlete on Sunday, the school said.



“The number of community members who turned out to lend support to each other, to Madie’s friends, and to her family was a testament to how many lives Madie touched during her time at Tufts,” school officials wrote in a letter. “In the face of this painful loss, our hearts go out to Madie’s family and friends.”

She is survived by her parents, Kathy and Chris Nicpon, and brothers Brian and Mikey.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help Nicpon’s family cover funeral and medical expenses.