Categories
World

2 killed, 12 wounded in North Carolina shooting at block party

Two people are dead and 12 people are hurt at a block party that led to a shooting and several people being struck by vehicles in north Charlotte early Monday morning. Police are calling the incident a “mass casualty” and say over 100 rounds were fired into a crowd of around 400 people.

“Several shooters discharged dozens of shots into the crowd,” the North Carolina, Deputy Chief Johnny Jennings of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said in a statement.

Officers responded to a call of a pedestrian hit around 12:30 a.m., when they heard gunshots, the statement said. When they got to the scene, officers found a woman with a gunshot wound lying in Beatties Ford Road with a gunshot wound. She died at the scene, the release said.




WBTV reported “hundreds of people” were in the streets.

Eight others were shot and taken to a hospital, where one of them died, police said.

In addition, five people were struck by vehicles and received injuries that were not life threatening, police said. They were treated at Clemmons Medical Center – Novant Health.



Jennings said the gathering was an extension of a Juneteenth celebration earlier in the week.

“The results of it just kind of got out of hand, and it was something that we never want to see either as a community or as a police department, so it’s very, very unfortunate situation,” he said.