Categories
World

12-storey Miami residential building complex collapses, several feared dead

At least one person died and several others remained missing after a 12-storey residential building collapsed north of Miami, Florida.

The number of people who have been located now stands at 102, while 99 are still unaccounted for, according to Miami-Dade Mayor Danielle Levine-Cava.

It is unclear how many people were in the building at the time.




The cause of the collapse of the 130 unit complex remains unclear.

The block in the town of Surfside was built in 1980.

Rescuers pulled 35 people from the wreckage, officials said. Ten were assessed and treated, of whom two were sent to hospital.



Search and rescue teams are working from a parking garage underneath the wreckage as they explore the rubble for survivors.

A small fire broke out during the search but was extinguished within 20 minutes, said Miami-Dade fire chief Raide Jadallah.

He said they had been using sonar and search cameras as well as specially trained dogs, but it was a “slow and methodical” process because of the risk of shifting rubble.

“The back of the building, probably a third or more, is totally pancaked,” Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett told a news conference.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, who visited the site on Thursday afternoon, said the fire and rescue service was still in “search and rescue mode”.

“The TV doesn’t do it justice. It is really, really traumatic to see the collapse of a massive structure like that,” he said.

A number of Latin American migrants have been reported missing by their consulates.

Relatives of the first lady of Paraguay are also among the missing, Paraguayan officials said. Rescuers were unable to contact the sister and brother-in-law of first lady Silvana López Moreira, along with their three children and a domestic worker.